Sunday, April 19, 2009

The First Post

Back in the infancy of the Internets, when I thought that Yahoo!Chat was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and even had a client called Cheetah Chat to interface with it so I could customize everything and have a ton of automatic responses (is that even around still?), I also had a free website set up at freeyellow. It basically was a wanna-be blog, before blogs even existed in this simple format, about my research into the Albigensian Crusade and the Cathars. Unfortunately at some point, freeyellow went to a paid service, and so I let the site lapse into oblivion. Some of it still exists in the archives of the way back machine, and I did have a back up on a floppy disk (of all things) of the html code. For a long time I was really too busy to be interested in the Cathars anymore. I hadn't read anything on them in years, and then I wound up with a bunch of credit for Barnes and Noble and I bought a couple of books, including The Occitan War, a rather expensive book that I would never have bought otherwise.

I had the idea that maybe I should start doing research again on them. I am going to be visiting southern France, where the crusade took place, next month in fact. Perhaps I can post some of the pictures I take, and anything I learn while I'm there.

1 comment:

  1. Cool. I have this thing for the Templars and this blog & post have sort of reminded me that it is something that I have not visited in awhile and should probably return to...

    Looking forward to your France visit.

    ReplyDelete